A June 2010 survey of nonprofit organizations by Guidestar found the things are tough for many organizations. Among the findings:
- Eight percent of respondents indicated that their organizations was were in imminent danger of closing.
- In order to balance budgets, 17 percent of respondents reduced program services, and 11 percent laid off employees.
- More than 60 percent of participants reporting decreased contributions attributed the drop to a decline in both the number of individual donors and the size of their donations.
- Among organizations that use volunteers, 17 percent used one or more in what had formerly been paid positions.
- About a third (32 percent) of organizations increased their reliance on volunteers, whereas 9 percent experienced a decline.
Click here to get the full report from Guidestar.